Saturday, September 29, 2012

Recommended Double Feature: THE BABY and POINT OF TERROR


Two movies that I went into knowing nothing about, two movies that aren’t exactly horror films, two movies that are so 70’s at times that it hurts. These are great party films, funny, strange and at times uncomfortably naughty. Sometimes I wonder how the Hell either of these movies got made. Both movies feature bizarre twist endings.

As per IMDB the plot for THE BABY “A social worker who recently lost her husband investigates the strange Wadsworth family. The Wadsworths might not seem too unusual to hear about them at first - consisting of the mother, two grown daughters and the diaper-clad, bottle-sucking baby. The problem is, the baby is twenty-one years old.”

Thoughts: Ho-lee shit. What a movie. You keep thinking it can’t get more insane but it does. The best part is that the cast all play it utterly straight as though this is the world’s most demented LIFETIME movie. No matter how crazy the story and situations get they keep it all strangely believable. Nothing is explained, everything just is, it is though this film occupies its own universe a kind of Suburban Gothic.
I must admit I also find extremely hot in this movie, your milage varies of course. Can this really be considered a horror movie? I can’t say for sure, but what I can say is do not reveal the twist ending!







As per IMDB the plot for POINT OF TERROR “A nightclub singer has nightmares about being involved in adultery and murder, only to wake up and find that they may not be nightmares.”


Thoughts: A little personal backstory here. It was about 1 AM and I had the worst case of the flu ever. Chills, nausea, headaches, you name it and it was happening. All I wanted to do was sleep but the aches and shakes were too much for me. So I grabbed a DVD movie pack I had picked up called THE HORRIBLE HORRORS collection and popped in a movie called point of terror. Suddenly Peter Carpenter appeared on my screen. He was rocking out in front of a red curtain and wearing a Tom Jones outfit that was probably too Tom Jones for the actual Tom Jones to wear. Then he starts to sing his signature tune ‘This is me’ and suddenly I was laughing too hard to think about being sick.
How can I describe POINT OF TERROR? Imagine if you ca, the plot of the film SHOWGIRLS but starring Greg Brady in his Johnny Bravo persona. POINT OF TERROR is the story of Tony Trelos, a lounge singer that screws his way to the top. Every woman wants him, even Ilsa herself Dyanne Thorne!
But where is the terror you might wonder? Is it the fashions? Is it Tony’s singing? Or the bare doughy man ass that he bares for the camera? Is it the fact I was prepared for a horror film but got a Cinemax After Dark film?
And the twist ending? I’m sure when you see it you’ll say just what I did, “Are you fucking kidding me?”
This movie may have saved my life.








No comments:

Post a Comment