Friday, March 27, 2009

Meet The Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets

Maybe it is because I'm 40 or maybe it is because I'm not as musically adventurous as should be but I don't have a lot of new CDs by performers I don't know- sure I will always grab the new Alice Cooper, Nine Inch Nails, Kate Bush, Tom Waits or Tori Amos CD as soon as finances allow but new stuff? Not so much.

Now with that being said let me tell you that I recently discovered The Darkest Of The Hillside Thickets and I can't stop listening to them.

A Marine Biologist


Their offical website describes them this way
The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets is a rock band that is dedicated to promoting the literature of H.P. Lovecraft, who wrote of lost cities, tainted geneology, alien gods, and that fabled tome, The Necronomicon. The Thickets haven’t been able to get ahold of the ancient spellbook, but they’ve got their own brand of corruption. They’re on a Lovecraft binge of madness, and they mean to take you with them. The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets have a reputation for entrancing and inciting their live audiences with their melodic blend of energetic punk and rock, while wearing graphic costumes that help bring their good-naturedly macabre songs to life. Their latest project is “The Shadow Out of Tim” concept album, a reimagining of Lovecraft’s short story “The Shadow Out of Time.”

The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets live in Vancouver, Abbotsford, and Chilliwack.


That's right, it's cosmic blasphemy you can dance to. Is this what Azathoth keeps on his iPod

Shoggoths Away


Actually they're all over my iPod as well. In fact I bet you that at least 1/3 of the posts here were written under their musical influence.

Twenty Minutes of Oxygen


How did I hear about this band you may wonder? Well as a longtime Lovecraft fan I found out about a role playing game called Spaceship Zerothat cleverly combined the Cthulhu mythos with the style of an old fashioned Flash Gordon serial. Turns out The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets vocalist and lyricist Toren Atkinson was one of writers behind the game and his band produced a soundtrack for the game.On a lark I bought it... and after one listen I was a fan for life.

Yog-Sothoth


I decided to share a little bit about the band just in case you've never heard of them because I have always meant for this little blog to be about more than just my sexual and literary perversions.

Goin' Down To Dunwich



Give them a try, you won't be sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Lovecraft to music? What could be better than that, except maybe a decent movie?

    ReplyDelete