Monday, October 4, 2010

THE BLOOD SPRAYER takes a second looks at the movie LAKE MUNGO (and you should too!)

 

Luckily I did, and if anything this second viewing has made me want to shout even louder that people need to see this. For a film about a girl who drowned, I find it quite fitting that for the majority of the film I find that I am often holding my breath without realizing it. This is odd considering Lake Mungo is shot documentary style without the usual horror movie conventions keeping the fear afloat. But what makes it so immensely terrifying that it causes me to turn on the lights and remind myself to breathe? This effect I think has largely to do with the themes and the realizations explored and developed as the film proceeds. There’s something so real and terrifying about what is enfolding on the screen that it chills me to the core and leaves me feeling shaky and uneasy. Lake Mungo is one of the few films that accomplish this without killing real animals and forcing its viewers to witness people getting tortured and raped...

 

click here to read the rest

No comments:

Post a Comment