Monday, March 3, 2014

The Cold Inside (a serial novel) Chapter Thirty-Six part two

The Cold Inside
Chapter Thirty-Six
part two
By AL BRUNO III

Wednesday January 25, 1995


“I was beginning to think we were characters in a Stephen King novel” Yusuf began, “Now I think it is Agatha Christie.”

The cafeteria was up to its usual levels of mayhem but the table that had once been the home of the Magnificent Seven now held only four. Rich grinned, “I think that Marple girl graduated years ago.”

“Did someone tell Tristam about the little intervention we planned today?” Greg asked, “Well Warren?”

“What?” Warren looked up from his barely eaten lunch, “Just because I still don’t see what the big deal is.”

“Did you tell him what we had planned?”

“No, but I wouldn’t have to either. For all we know he heard one of us talking to you on the phone last night. He could have been there all along.”

Rich shook his head, “Now there is a creepy thought.”

Yusuf said, “If my mother had such powers I would have no choice but to join the space program.”

Warren laughed a little, “And I still think you guys are blowing this out of proportion. All he did was even the odds. The only people he fucked with are the people that were fucking with us.”

“Really?” Greg said, “And what about me?”

“He would never really hurt you. He respects you.”

“Then he has a strange way of showing it.”

Rich said, “Allow me to repeat what I’ve been saying for a while, I don’t think all of us politely asking him to stop is going to make him stop.”

Greg said, “I don’t think he’s a bad person I just think he’s drunk with power.”

“Hence the intervention theme.” Yusuf said.

Rich glanced at the equally depleted front tables, the Dean and the school nurse were talking to Tristam’s sister. Pamela Bloom turned pale as they led her from the cafeteria. “Why do I suddenly get the feeling things have just gotten a lot worse?”





No comments:

Post a Comment