Friday, August 24, 2012

Recommended Double Feature: BASKET CASE and THE BROOD

Two films that will gross you out and weird you out in equal parts, two films that I think should be more appreciated by mainstream audiences and two films that always remind me of my youth in all kinds of ways...

As per IMDB the plot for BASKET CASE "A young man carrying a big basket that contains his deformed Siamese-twin brother seeks vengeance on the doctors who separated them against their will."

And here comes the trailer...

When I first read about BASKET CASE I was around thirteen or fourteen, every review said it was the sickest, worst movie in years so of course I just had to see it. Now I agree BASKET CASE is sick but I don't think of it as a bad movie, in fact I think it is pretty darn good. BASKET CASE boasts a cast of eccentric and memorable characters, some moments that are pretty darn funny and other moments that are strange and sweet. The movie may not have had a budget but it has ten times the heart of any Michael Bay movie.

Also Terri Susan Smith somehow reminds me of my high school sweetheart...


As per IMDB the plot of THE BROOD: "A man tries to uncover an unconventional psychologist's therapy techniques on his institutionalized wife, while a series of brutal attacks committed by a brood of mutant children coincides with the husband's investigation."


The trailer (Movie trailers were so damn different back then weren't they?)


Cronenberg first came to our attention with movies like this but he never let himself be pinned down by any one genre or idea. That being said this early film really showcases his facination with body and emotional horrors aplenty. What is really scarier? Killer mutants or knowing your Mom has gone right off the deep end? The film is a slow burn and some of the folks I have shown it to found the early parts of the film too slow paced but that's just Cronenberg laying the groundwork for what becomes a real piece of grand guignol.

And yes this film does make me think back to my childhood in a lot of ways. All kids can be monsters... little brothers especially.

No comments:

Post a Comment