Sunday, September 25, 2011

Remaindered, Rejected And Irreconcilable part one

Price Breaks And Heartaches

A journal of retail and failed romance

Chapter Eight

Remaindered, Rejected And Irreconcilable

part one


(The following story is true, especially the sad parts)





Things were tense on the way to the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Tallulah found out she had been fired right before we were to head out for the Def Leopard concert. So of course she was mad as Hell and everything I did seemed to antagonize her- especially my driving. I was going to slow, I was missing all the shortcuts and my Cinderella/Quiet Riot mix tape was pedestrian and shallow.


And while she was entitled to her opinions about my admittedly cautious driving style I feel that I do pretty well for a man with partial vision in one eye, night blindness and a habit of being easily distracted by amusing billboards.


Apparently we weren’t the only people to opt for lawn seats. We ended up having to sit so far back on the lawn that we couldn’t even see the people that couldn’t see the stage. But that was fine. We lay back on the picnic blanket watching the stars while Rick Allen’s drums thundered in the distance like the sound of…


...drums thundering in the distance?


Well that sorta works…


*



“Ohhh I love this song.” I said.


“Watch your hands there mister.” We were far enough away from the stage that we didn’t have to shout. We snuggled in our overpriced concert t-shirts and listened to the music.


“You still mad about earlier?” I finally asked.


“No.” She said, “I was just… I don’t know.”


“Was it PMS or-”


“Don’t go there.” She cautioned, “Don’t even look at the brochure.”


Nearby a group of stoners blundered past, I was sure a few of them were old tormentors from high school- they didn’t even recognize me.


We didn’t speak again until they started playing a filler song from their newest album, “I love you.” I said with a kiss, “I’m gonna love you forever.”


“That’s what you keep saying.” Tallulah was close enough to me for her locks of hair to tickle the side of my face, “But what are we gonna do about it?”


“It depends on if your parents are home I guess.”


“That’s not what I mean,” She said, “I mean what are we going to do about it?”


“Well, we’re gonna get married.”


“You make it sound easy. It’s not so easy. What about your family?”


“We’ll elope.”


“What about my family?”


“We’ll send them pictures.”


She sat up, “Can’t you be serious? Just for a minute?”


“I don’t understand what’s wrong.” This wasn’t what I wanted to deal with There had been so few fights between us and all I knew how to do under pressure was to either make a wisecrack or roll over and expose my throat, “Did I say something? Did I do something?”


“No.” She said, “It’s just you think once we get married that that’s it? We’ll just live happily ever after?”


“Why not?” I pulled her close again, “Once my novel sells we’ll be rich.”


*



Working at the Paper Shredder had become a miserable. I missed seeing Tallulah almost every day. I missed catching her eye as I passed going from one errand to another, I missed sharing breaks and laughter and I also missed creeping into the coat room so I could sniff the lining of her jean jacket.


Man, I hope she isn’t reading this.


Anyway work was just no fun anymore, the hours just dragged by. With Tallulah's encouragement I started looking for work elsewhere and soon enough I found it.



Click here to continue

No comments:

Post a Comment