Monday, June 20, 2011

Foreplay On The Edge Of Forever part fourteen

Price Breaks And Heartaches
A journal of retail and failed romance
Chapter Six
Foreplay On The Edge Of Forever
part fourteen





Tallulah didn’t stay mad at me although in retrospect she would have been completely justified if she had.

We made up and soon things were back on track again.

But I still had one lingering question. Were Tallulah’s feelings about me strong enough for her to accept the most important part of my life?


*


She sat beside me on the couch. The rest of my family was out visiting friends and probably wouldn't be back for a while. This was the perfect time to spring it on her, to show her what I felt she needed to see.

Part of me was terrified, part of me was excited. At first she was a little unnerved, then she was interested and pretty soon she started to get into it.

But of course she had a lot of questions. That was to be expected.

“So this blond guy is Doctor Who too?” Tallulah asked.

“Yes,” I explained. “You see he's an alien and he can regenerate into a new actor when the old actor playing him quits.”

“I see...”

“And also, and this is important- he's the Doctor, the title of the show is Doctor Who. You see the title is a question, a question that can never be answered because the main character is a mystery to us.”

She nodded, “So this is your favorite show.”

“God yes.” I said, “I have about 30 videotapes full of episodes.”

“Wow.” She said with what I hope was admiration. “And a lot of them have cliffhangers?”

“Yeah. Most stories have at least one cliffhanger.”

“But do they all end with a zoom in on the Doctor's face and a scream of music?”

I nodded, “A lot of them yeah. I think its part of the fun really.”

“You know that Adric guy is kind of cute.”

I winced a little at that but reminded myself nobody was perfect.

She put her hand in mine, at first I thought that the thrill of watching Four to Doomsday was overwhelming her but then she said, “Do you love me?”

I didn't even pause, “I’m going to love you forever.”

She snuggled up close to me, “You're not just going to kick me to the curb when things get bad?”

“Don’t worry. You can always count on me,” I kissed the top of her head.

“Are you sure. You love me no matter what?”

“No matter what.”

“Al...” Tallulah buried her face in my chest, she was trembling, “I think I'm pregnant.”

Zoom in to my face.

Cue the scream of music.




1 comment:

  1. Haha! Classic cliffhanger.
    And perhaps the scariest cliffhanger a man wil ever hear...

    ReplyDelete