Monday, May 23, 2011

Foreplay On The Edge Of Forever part eleven

Price Breaks and Heartaches

A journal of retail and failed romance

Chapter Six

Foreplay On The Edge Of Forever

part eleven





And just like that Tallulah and I were back together.


After work we got in my car and got some fast food then we parked my car in a secluded spot near the Albany Airport. We talked about taking things slowly and carefully. We agreed upon the plan with a kiss. The kisses were as sweet as ever and suddenly we were in the back seat of my Monte Carlo. Occasionally a car would pass by and the illumination from its headlights would slide across our half-clothed bodies. Like most young men I had been fed a steady diet of prefabricated airbrushed babes, not a single one of them had a thing on the girl in my arms that night.


She held me tight and whispered “Fuck me.”


“Way ahead of you,” I smiled. Then I realized the stockpile of condoms I had ended up with after Thanksgiving were in my room back home. It was just a ten minute ride from where we were but it might as well be a parsec.


“What’s wrong?” Tallulah asked.


“No protection.”


“It’s OK, we should be safe.”


Of course safe is a relative term when your bare hairy ass is visible to any passers by on Albany Shaker Road. We made love like grown ups but sometimes pausing to giggle like the teenagers we still were. When it was over we lay there, using my long black overcoat as a blanket.


I whispered in her ear, “I love you.”


She smiled, “I should have known I’d never get rid of you.”


“What can I say? I’m irresistible to women and publishers alike.”


Now there was a remark that would come back to haunt me over the next few years.


A few snuggles later we started to retrieve our clothing from the front seat. Tallulah said, “I kept hearing songs that made me think of you.”


“Oh really?”


Her bra had never been unclasped so she had to unroll it back on, “Yeah, every time I turned on the radio I would hear just What I Needed by The Cars.”


“Is that our song?”


“I’d like to think so, it’s either that or Dude Looks Like A Lady.”

“What?” I paused in putting my underwear on backwards.


“Yeah, Dude Looks Like A Lady.”


I asked “Why?” but winced in anticipation of the answer.


“You know... it’s got that lyric ‘Never judge a book by its cover. Or who you’re gonna love by your lover’.” Now that she was fully dressed Tallulah climbed back into the front seat. I paused to admire her tushie.


“I think I like the Cars one better...” I paused in mid-sentence, “...where is my shoe?”


“I think it’s under the floor mat” she said, “hang on a second...”


As I pulled myself back into the driver’s seat I heard her shout with surprise, “What is this?”


In her struggle to retrieve my shoe she had bumped the glove compartment open. The gift box I had intended for Ramona was plainly visible. I felt my git go cold... had I labeled the gift? I couldn’t remember. Memories of my Junior year of High School came flooding over me. I had been dallying with two girls at the same time. Valentine's Day had been a chaos of switched cards and yours truly running for his life.


“Is this for me?”


“...sure.” I said numbly, “I was going to give it to you to try and... I mean that I...”


“To get me back?”


“Yes...” I said letting her create my cover story for me, “...exactly.”


She opened the package and squealed with glee at the earrings. She gave me a thank you kiss and before we knew it we were going at it again. I went from breathing a sigh of relief to breathing heavily.


Oh Tallulah, I learned so much from her that night. I learned what it felt like to really be in love, I learned what it was to lose one’s self in the heat of passion and I learned how to save my bacon by lying like a rug.




Click Here To Continue

No comments:

Post a Comment