Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In The Shadow Of His Nemesis chapter fifty seven

In The Shadow Of His Nemesis


Chapter Fifty Seven


BY AL BRUNO III




Tuesday November 26th 1996




They spent as much time as they could together, they spent as much time as they could alone in her room, they spent as much time as they could naked. It amazed Isobel that her world had been reduced to this; two lovers alone in a candlelit room without even a radio to fill the silence. It amazed her even more that she didn't mind. She had spent so much of her life using noise to drown out the sound of her own thoughts, be it the TV blaring while she did housework or a radio playing as she read but now all she needed was Galen's heartbeat.


“What was your family like?” she had her head on his chest and traced patterns in the wisps of red hair with her fingertips.


“I had two brothers and a sister, Jared, Coyle and Reneta. I was the oldest.” His voice was calm and disaffected. “My father was a big man... wide and tall... I don't think he ever smiled. My mother was beautiful and quiet but you couldn't get anything past her.”


“Sig made it sound like you were some kind of royalty.”


Galen shifted in place, “In a way, we were High Borns that could trace their bloodline all they way back to blessed Phalen. We didn't have a palace or crowns or anything but when my father spoke most of the families listened.”


“What's the difference between a High Born like you and someone like Sig or Hao?” she twisted herself around until they were cheek to cheek, all the better to kiss him.


“Sig is common born,” Galen explained, “his kind can call up the primal shape but not the sacred.”


“What does that mean?”


“The shape I showed you isn't the only one a High Born has. There is another.”


Isobel eyes became full of curiosity. How many more surprises did this man have in store for her? Would she ever fully understand what she had gotten herself into? This strange new life was terrifying but wonderful too. To learn after a lifetime of being fed mundane science and empty gospels that there was truly magic in the world. She was almost hungry to see it all, to understand it all. She asked, “Can you show me what it looks like?”


“It...it's not for humans. I'm sorry.”


“No, I'm sorry,” she said, and she was. He seemed almost offended to have been asked but how was she to know? “I didn’t mean to put you on the spot.”


“Some secrets are better as secrets.” he stretched, the mattress creaking ever so slightly beneath him. “Besides, I wouldn't want to see your reaction.”


“Is it that bad?”


“...you've followed me so far,” he began to kiss the crook of her neck, his thumb ran across a nipple. “Would you go anywhere with me?”


She closed her eyes, “Of course.”


“Would you wait for me?”


“What do you mean?”


His lips trailed after his fingers, “I might have to go away for a while, I'm not sure...we can’t stay here forever.”


She smiled a little, “I think Warren's going to try.”


“Maybe I should have said I can't stay here forever.”


“The Monarchs?” she could feel him growing hard against her, his manhood tracing a wet arc along her leg. How could they be having this conversation now? How could she be so turned on? “Buy they can’t find us here, you said so.”


“There are other reasons. Jason Magwier for one.”


Galen was becoming more insistent and she wasn’t interested in talking about Magwier anyway but she still asked, “What about him?”


“He knows too much.” Galen raised himself up over her, the candlelight made his expression uncertain.


“You make it sound like you want to kill him.”


“What would you do if I did?”


Isobel felt goose-pimples work down her skin, “You would?”




Click Here To Continue

No comments:

Post a Comment